20080716

Lessons in Longing

I have been longing for a custom made guitar for years. I remember when I was young I always thought why cant someone make a guitar that has a wider neck. Well I have been longing for a Flamenco guitar that would allow for my large hands to play comfortably on a wide guitar. I found some one who would make one for me and when I thought I was close to delivery to getting it I was so excited and finding it hard to wait. At the same time there was never any agreement that it would be done on a certain day just my thinking and expectation that it would be. Well its going to be longer then I thought and I found my self disappointed and sad yet for what reason. The reason was I thought with out checking in that it would be hear soon and yet I was never told that it would for certain be hear on a certain day. yet I was not detached or letting go of desire so I found my self disappointed. Its it good to desire yes I believe it is buy when there is an un known demand or expectations that goes un agreed upon I think we will experience disappointment but it is only self induced because we never checked in with our desire and expectations. How important is is to check in with others when we think something will happen when we place our desire and longings on others with out agreement we will only hurt ourselves. So you either need to clarify or let go of what you want. I forgot to clarify and let my desire rule my heart. I only failed myself today. What do you need to let go of or clarify?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yet, in the end it will be worth it. It is hard to understand this now.

I had wanted my DeVoe to be in my hands so that I could play it at my son's wedding. This was my expectation, no one else's. I put this limitation on how the guitar would be perceived by others, but mainly by myself. This was a total fantasy. I saw the guitar as being greater than my playing for the event. Well, my playing was met everyone's desires and more, except my own.

When I got the guitar I feared that it couldn't possibly meet the expectations that I had set for it.

It did. Paitence my friend. It seems forever, but you will be rewarded with a fantastic guitar. "Lester don't make junk." Believe it. Hang in there.

Al