20080717

Redeeming the Thorns

Redeeming the Thorns; Staying Close to Gods Heart By Victor Tarassov, MS Have you ever wondered why we sometimes just can’t seem to overcome our battles by shear will power? We do the same things over and over even though we don’t want to. I know I have been wrestling with that question. It is hard if not impossible to overcome or deal with a thorn by yourself. And I think I am finally coming to grips with the fact that the Christian’s life is totally impossible to live unless… Keep reading. Paul in his letter to the Corinthians in chapter 12:7-10 NIV describe the thorn that he has, he asks the Lord to remove it three times, (how many times have we asked) and yet the answer Paul is given is "My grace is sufficient for you, my power is made perfect in weakness" v.9 Humm. That goes against every addict’s or persons thinking in recovery that wants to be self-sufficient or do it in their own way. Actually there is an implication here that says we may have thorns in our life, but the Lord may chose not to remove them but give us the grace to deal with them. I have struggled with loneliness, depression and other struggles. I have asked the Lord to remove them but what I am finding is that these thorns can be an invitation and gift from the Lord for intimacy and deep fellowship. I believe that this is true and when I don’t go to Him I lose life. Maybe some of us need to reconsider the thorns in our life and see them not as a curse but a gift to make us dependent on the Lord and a call to intimacy with Him. I know that I have had to come to this place even with all I know, my education, experience, etc. I still cannot overcome my pride and other issues by myself. My pride can kill my spiritual walk. Ask yourself how are you doing in this garden of thorns? **************************************** We do the same things over and over even though we don’t want to. **************************************** In John 15:5 Jesus says apart from Him we can do nothing. I think it is impossible to live the Christian life with out our complete radical dependence on the Lord, Father, Son, and Holy Sprit. So this passage points out again that it can’t be done alone. We will have to choose whether we will move to numbing or escaping pain i.e. addictions and acting out which leads to death or dependence on the Lord, which leads to life. In the book of James chapter 1:2-4 we are told that we will not escape trials/temptation. But if we do stand up to them and make healthy choices that depend on the Lord for help we will receive a crown of life v.15. We need the Lord but we also need community/people to help us handle our thorns. We may have put the thorns in our life, but to be in recovery means I can’t do it alone I need the Lords and the Lords people to help me. I just want to make sure that no one thinks it’s just the Lord and me. God created community and gave us the church so we can heal and recover from the consequences of sin. This is done in fellowship with the body of Christ the church. **************************************** God created community and gave us the church so we can heal! **************************************** May we see our thorns, whatever they may be as a gift to grow closer to the risen Lord and experience His grace? Some action steps: 1. Admit we have them and identify them. 2. Talk with the Lord about them, we can ask Him to remove them but if they are there let’s see them as opportunity to deepen our dependence on Christ. 3. Share with others in a small group or support group setting as well as a close friend or pastor. 4. Allow for time with Gods grace to begin to strengthen and change your character you so you can respond in new healthy ways that lead to life and not death. 5. Prayer as a constant chat with the Lord and a constant connection to Him in your mind. 6. Clean out our garden where there are thorns. What do we watch on TV? Where do we go with our free time? Clean house. I wish you all a blessed Christmas and pray that the thorns in your life will drive you to the passion that brought Christ (Emanuel) on earth for us. Peace be with you, Victor This article is by Victor Tarassov, MS

No comments: